Monday, May 4, 2015

Figures galore!

I had a bit of surprise find this month - WON Samus, really wasn't expecting to find her! All traces of the wave have now disappeared, so maybe they ordered it accidentally. I've now ordered Bowser online so am caught up on the figures I want.

Previously to finding Samus I picked up a TMNT 5" Shredder with removable helmet reduced to only £7.49 and have quickly knocked together a 3.75" Shredder custom for my villain shelf. It's a Age of Thunder Thor body painted grey, a Grim Reaper cape plus a GI Joe Movie Storm Shadow head. (He's a little young looking but there are really not many options for Asian headsculpts, Sunfire will have to go back to having his proper head!) I think it works rather nicely.

I also repainted a Kurse from the Thor 2 line as a Predator, I bought a cheap ReAction figure for the head. I think he works fairly well. I'm happy with the painting and I have gained an appreciation for the sculpt on that figure. That's two customs knocked out really rather quickly!


I also finished off a Groot quite recently from a cheap KO of the Legends figure. I actually used real twigs to make him, and read up on how to preserve bits of plant! I've now launched straight into my next project which is making some 'under construction' beast Pretenders to go with my Classics Wreckers versus Mayhem Squad display. Speaking of which, I am gutted that the Play with this too Kickstarter didn't work out. I really hope they can find a way to get the figures out there at a reasonable price.


I bought that Kreo Devastator Ironhide set, I've got my Lego on display now and I've had a bit of a rethink about what I want to collect. I've got Ecto-1, the Turtles (modern) Wagon, an AT-AT and the Batmobile which are all Lego (and nice). The Kreo obviously isn't so great so I'm going to trim it down a bit. I'm going to keep Optimus, Prowl, Bumblebee, Jazz, Ratchet and Ironhide. They're the main '84 Autobots but are partially Movie inspired versions of them so they fill a gap. If I get get round to building a Lego town they will all feature! I built Ironhide, I think there is a slight improvement in the quality of the bricks compared to the very first Kreo, maybe it's just me. I'm eyeing up the Battle Changer Soundwave that's coming out as it has a Ravage with it.


I finally found a Sky-Bye!!! I have never searched so much for a figure, checking B&Ms has almost become part of my weekly routine. I will display him with RID Scourge. He has the unique distinction of being the one character I remember from the odd occasion where I watched that show. He's also a robot shark!

I had DC Multiverse Two-Face turn up, he's a very nice figure and the colours really pop out compared to the Infinite Heroes version. The Multiverse figures are a little bigger than the Multiverse but not offensively so. I've decided to stick with Scarecrow and Robin, but I'll get the Date Night box set to see what I think of Batman, Catwoman, Joker and Harley. I'm going to get Bane as well, but think I might get the DC Universe Killer Croc (the 6" one). Sorted!



I finally opened Crossbones from the First Avenger line, I'm not really too knowledgeable about the character but it's a nice sculpt and in contrast to the stuff we're getting from the Infinite line a nice blast from the past where detailing was still a thing. I've still got quite a backlog of things to open, it will keep me going.

Some new pictures have surfaced of the FP Swoop, the photos of him on a stand look great, I think I've made the right decision. The head sculpt is spot on, not quite so anime as Slag which I think does work for me a bit more. Some great groups shots as well with the three of them.

I opened my Generations Gears recently, nice little figure, slight remold of Swerve obviously. I'd be quite happy to have a Brawn and Outback from the same mold (particularly Outback). I think I will add a bit of red paint to the head to give him the proper Gears look.

I've bought quite a lot of things in store recently, I bought a 3.75" Dalek for my villains shelf and a Marvel Infinite Sandman. I had quite an entertaining conversation with the guy behind the till about who would win in a fight. We concluded Sandman would come out top. I then had a random find in TK Maxx of a Mr. Potato Head Grimlock, I had actually searched for him in TRU in vain several months ago, I wouldn't have bothered with eBay but it's good to get another Grimlock for the collection.


I was all set to buy a 5" Donkey Kong and a Legacy Qui-Gon Jinn that had been shelf warming for years but then spotted a 3.75" Doctor Who Foretold (a Mummy) who would be perfect for a N'Kantu custom, so I ditched Qui-Gon and bought the Mummy and DK. No conversation on who would win in a fight this time, though I don't really know much about the Foretold. I assume DK would pound on the Mummy quite badly, but there might be some extra powers I don't know about! I then found a Generations Cliffjumper which I've been thinking about for a while. It's just a red Bumblebee, but then so's the Henkei one and at least this one has a gun.

So all in all quite a good month for buying figures in store, now I just need to open a few of the buggers!

No comments:

Post a Comment