Monday, May 29, 2017

Getting old

After my quiet month I've had another bit of a blow out. I kicked things off with Marvel Select Groot. I saw some guys talking about it online and was mildly intrigued. I think it's the best comic Groot available, but I'm not sure about the Hulk hands and I prefer Groot to be in his Guardians costume. It's a nice solid figure though, much like the Hulkbuster figure I bought previously.


I bought a She-Hulk figure for a custom, which I think might just have stopped me buying anything from the US again. It really seems like packages from the US get targeted for duty, which is fine, but paying duty on the cost of shipping as well as the 'handling fee' really takes the piss. I'm pretty much caught up on figures I want for customs now though so it's not too much of a problem. Hello Europe, oh wait.....

A happier purchase was generations deluxe Warpath. I passed on the figure when it was released as I wasn't sure I wanted a deluxe minibot, and it seemed that the figure would get a Hardhead repaint which seemed like a good way of getting the mold. He's a great figure, very glad to finally pick him up as he's always seemed like a figure I missed out on. He was a favourite of mine as a kid so that adds to the charm. You'll notice how I managed that entire paragraph without using the word 'kapow'. Almost.


I bought the movie Doctor Stranges 2-pack from Amazon, partially because it was the cheapest way to get an astral Strange figure (which I just realised I needed), and partially so I could replace my existing Strange head with the movie one. I wanted to do that because my comic Strange has wonky eyes, and also because rather than collecting MCU figures I like to put movie heads on comic bodies. The eyes on the movie Strange weren't great either, but better at least and so he looks pretty good.


I also bought a Konami Firefly model, nice figure with amazing detail though I did manage to break one of the lights on it when taking them off the sprue which was a bit disappointing. Looks sweet with the mole, still thinking about whether to get a Thunderbird 4 to go with.


**********************

My collecting has taken a bit of a backseat recently, mostly because of a lack of time but also because I've caught up on (almost) everything I want. With Marvel 3.75" really slowing down and Transformers being between waves and the rumour mill slowing down, it feels calm. After a bit of a hiatus I've starting working on some customs again so that's giving me something to focus on.

You will all keenly remember me buying some blank female Bossfight studios figures, it's time to reveal what I made them into: female ninjas from Mortal Kombat, Kitana, Mileena and Jade! (I did have to scalp a few Spider-Women....)


For all their multitude of sins, for me one of Jazwares greatest for me was their lack of any female characters. Particularly the female ninjas - they did the male ninjas, fair enough, but they also did the cyber ninjas. Surely the female ninjas are more important! Anyway, I have resolved to make the complete cast of MKI and MKII in 3.75" scale! (As it happens, I think the cyber ninjas are the best figures they did.)

I will mostly stick to the aesthetic from those games, but I will use my Jazwares figures as a starting point. I liked MK3, but the characters don't mean as much. Beyond Ultimate, I've never played another MK game. I note that they basically turned the female characters into strippers, I guess being a princess turned assassin turned fighter didn't pay very well for Kitana. Luckily for Peach, Daisy and Zelda, Nintendo still has the money to pay their princesses a decent salary.

Before I start ranting on about how Mileena still managed to be my favourite character as a teenager without being half naked, I bought Titanmasters Fangry and Lione on Amazon. £15 for the pair, which considering I haven't seen them available in the UK isn't bad. I am starting to feel I'm not getting value for money anymore though. That said, I really like Fangry and it's nice to complete the Decepticon Headmaster junior trio.



Moaning about over sexualisation of women and high prices?! Yep, I'm getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment