Thursday, March 1, 2018

Big is beautiful

I ordered the 12" Marvel Legends Iron Man! I think he has a fairly flexible place in my collection, he is my favourite (original) Avenger so he can stand on his own merits. But the nature of the character, always building custom armours means he could easily just be a Giant Man-buster armour. Or even a Transformers-buster armour (like in the crossover comic they did a few years back).

I really like the figure, not worth the original asking price, but for £25 I'm very happy. Big is beautiful. It is sometimes interesting to get characters in different scales, larger or smaller can make you look at them differently. There's something about large toys which make me very happy, weirdly I got a feeling similar when I opened the supersize TB3 - a great appreciation for everything I have. I'm glad I've got one of the 12" scaled figures, but happy for it to be the only one.


Finally got round to sticking (literally) Gamora's sword in her hand, pretty happy!


Toy fair is coming up soon, I'm not sure what to expect really, combiner wise, Piranacon and/or Monstructor seem likely. In terms of deluxes, Slapdash and Joyride would be great (and I think easy because they could be repaints of each other), voyagers I'm not sure on, Shockwave perhaps. Leader is where the interest is for me, the current gimmick seems perfect for Star Saber. Equally, I think Thunderclash could easily be done from Rodimus Prime. Just have to wait I guess!

*********

Not for the first time, Toy Fair was a bit rubbish! Almost nothing on the 3.75" front, a Ryu figure from Hasbro, maybe they'll do a M. Bison? The 6" Marvel Legends look awesome. I think I actually regret going for the smaller scale now. 90's era Jim Lee X-Men figures, Ghost Rider with bike, Thing, they all look amazing. It's quite sickening!

Transformers just showed actual versions of the new toys rather than any new information. Predaking looks alright, a bit more cartoon accurate in his proportions. Might have to display him individually. Abominus looks good. Nothing else to comment on really.

The surprise item for me was the 5.5" Funko Thundercats. 5 POA I think, but the sculpt and paint look very good. I am extremely tempted, though I'm not sure where that leaves my Mattycollector figures. Maybe I'll go MOSC with them, especially if the packaging is vintage style.

**********

I've just had a strange journey through Marvel Legends. After seeing all of the great 6" figures from Toy Fair I made a list of all of my favourite characters, all of the figures I would 'need' to buy if I made the jump. There's 36 heroic (ish) characters, 16 of which are X-men.

Some of them I am perfectly happy with the 3.75" versions, but a few (eight), the 6" is better. I want unmasked Spider-Man and Black Panther. I've never been happy with the Blade face sculpt. I need a bike for my Ghost Rider. I want a white costume Storm and a Jean Grey with a neck. Bishop needs some definition and not be so shiny. Hulk needs to be taller. I need a Bruce Banner figure (I have Red Hulk and Thunderbolt Ross). I have worked out what is wrong with my 3.75" versions of my favourite characters. Then it struck me, I could just find unmasked heads, make a few customs and buy one of those 1:18 bikes for Ghost Rider. So I will!

Then I started thinking about the villains, something about (the original comic pack) Magneto and Apocalypse doesn't quite work for me either - they both need to be more imposing. I intend to get the upcoming BAF Legends Apocalypse, so he's sorted, but I will give Magneto some more thought.

I might try and get a Chris Pratt head for Star-Lord from the new Jurassic World toys, and given I have 6" Legends Ant-Man and Wasp, I might have to get them some unmasked heads (I like the Paul Rudd grinning headsculpt). I also quite fancy a Browning custom from the new Cyberverse Megatron. Maybe Toy Fair wasn't so rubbish after all.

Also, having said all that, I think I still might get a couple of 6" Legends that take my fancy! Spider-Man, Venom, Carnage, Wolverine and Deadpool for starters.

No comments:

Post a Comment