Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Illuminating Avengers

I'm still feeling rather reflective about (almost) getting all of the Legends I want. I have been going through all of the possible things I might want to collect next, Star Wars 6", Lego, but nothing is quite clicking. One thing that does quite appeal would be to collect some Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen figures. Maybe a V for Vendetta figure (spot the pattern?!). However, they either don’t exist or it’s not quite right (or complete).

Previously I never thought I would collect Marvel Legends or Transformers Masterpiece, so it’s likely a matter of the right figure of a character being released and suddenly I’m addicted to something again. Collecting takes up money, time and space. I think that is true of any hobby, but it needs to be balanced against the enjoyment gained. If I was getting really philosophical, I’d go as far as to say collecting toys doesn’t help me achieve any of the things I really want to achieve in life, really, it hinders it. I don’t think I’ll ever recount my grandchildren with the story of how I found Cyclops at the local comic shop! Though I do really want the X-Men cartoon lineup in Marvel Legends.......

Perhaps, being a bit more sensible, I think should catch up on the various TPB comics and DVDs I’ve been after. Perhaps a bit of cold turkey for the time being then.

Moving swiftly on, Hawkeye and Ant-Man have arrived. That’s almost my Avengers lineup finished, just need a Thor! Toy fair is next month so that’s something to look forward to.

Hawkeye has ratchet arms which is a little strange, but otherwise a fine addition. Ant-Man is perfect, though I think he looks a little cheap in the retro style packaging. The figure is fine of course, but something about it reminds me of an un-stretched Stretch Armstrong. I think the retro packaging is really cool - I've actually kept it for all of the retro style figure I have, but I think it does subconsciously make me think I'm getting a cheaper product. A boxed figure seems worth more than figure in a bubble on a card.


Black Bolt and Widow have also arrived (Widow in the retro style packaging). Black Bolt also has the ratchet shoulders which makes me wonder whether some of the figures I already have have them as well and I just haven't noticed. Black Widow is pretty good, but unfortunately her lipstick looks like she might have applied it whilst riding a motorbike, the paint application has been applied somewhat higher up on her face than it should have been. A lipstick moustache perhaps.


As has Namor! He’s in his modern costume, which was a custom I was considering doing. I don’t know much about the character, but he’s one that appeals to me. He’s a very good looking figure though, the metallic blue green looks especially nice. When I put him next to Reed Richards, he looks huge. Can't blame Sue for being tempted!


Siege Leader Optimus has been shown off, looks good! I’m excited about it, though I don’t think I’d get one. I like the idea of a matching Optimus and Magnus (assuming it’s built off of the Magnus toy) so will keep an eye on it. Something that does interest me is a Nova Prime repaint, the mock up I’ve seen looks fantastic.

Looking through the upcoming Siege figure, Hasbro will have more or less redone all of  the Classics and Universe characters. I think Hot Rod and Ramjet will be my only remaining Classics figures, Hot Rod hasn't had a solid new version, and with the coneheads, I'm happy to have them as deluxe and the original seekers as voyagers. Assuming I go for the new Starscream that is.

The X-Men wave for the year has also been shown off, Beast, Gambit, Forge and Jubilee. Wow! That’s over half my X-Men wants in one go. Along with Professor X and a rumour of Colossus it’s looking really good for the X-Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment