Monday, September 16, 2019

FOMO

I’ve been re-reading Lost Light (volume 2), it’s really nice to get back into it. Bit tempted to seek out a Krok, but the main thing that struck me was that Scorponok, Star Saber, Deszaras and Thunderclash all appear, my main toy wants. It’s like they’re teasing me.

My interest in Transformers has evolved, it started off as nostalgia for the cartoon, that evolved into nostalgia for the toys. I then watched the Japanese cartoons, and read the Marvel and Dreamwave comics. I now read the IDW comics and the toys I want reflect this evolution. Scorponok appears in everything on that list, the middle two Japanese cartoons and IDW, and Thunderclash is all IDW. None of the cast of the cartoons or toyline I remember as a kid are on it, they're done. Had I not embraced new media I would be done apart from Scorponok.

I saved a few pictures of the 90’s X-Men teams a while back and it’s been playing on my mind. Basically I now need Captain Britain and Psylocke. They’re British, I’m in Britain, it all makes sense. Cap B is still available at retail price, more or less, but Psylocke has about doubled. Bollocks! I bought her, sold her at a loss and now want to buy her again. Suffice to say, They’re both on their way (again).

They both appeared in the 90’s cartoon so it’s not all patriotic nonsense. I bought a New Excalibur comic in the 2000’s so I actually have some connection to the team. I like that Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde were both in Excalibur as they are sort of leftovers from the main 90’s teams otherwise (Blue, Gold and X-Factor). For Pyslocke she was also on the cover of one of the few X-Men comics I bought (with Spiral), she also apparently joined the team in the comics set after the cartoon. So, she does have a lot of significance. She also helps competes the 90’s team. I have now paid for Nightcrawler and Storm, just a Jean Grey away from X-Men completion! (And Colossus technically, but he's due any time now.)

I have now got NECA cartoon Leonardo, my initial thoughts are very positive, but will be expensive to complete the team! He's a very good size - the Playmates figures were a bit big compared to Marvel Legends scaled stuff, but also 80's/90's Turtles were slightly smaller than other toylines, so I appreciate the shortness. One thing that is key for me with Turtles figures is the shell colour and design, and this one is perfect. He's not super posable, but I think he has just enough articulation. I like the way this figure looks next to Legends. Also, it photographs amazingly well.


I have spent a bit time thinking about what sort of Turtles I want - comic, cartoon, toy, or movie even. I don't have any connection to the original comics, but generally with my toys I go for ones based on the original source material. I think the Playmates had they been a bit smaller would have been perfect. I really like this cartoon style figure but I am also eyeing up the Super 7 figures which look to be ridiculously expensive. Can’t make my mind up, but will hold off making a decision until we see a bit more of the new stuff.

There are rumours that the next WFC line will be focused on Rebirth. Just about every figure I could want is from 1987 or later (deluxe Insecticons I think are the sole exception), this could be it! Interestingly, the final part could be animal based Transformers. Bigger Sky Lynx and Dinobots please! But, at that point I think it would be more about getting better versions. And maybe some Beast Wars?! (Off the top of my head I need Tarantulas, Scorponok, Terrorsaur, and Airrazor.) I have also managed to squeeze in an order for the Reflector 3-pack. Like I said, generally I like to go toy accurate, but the cartoon colours were tempting.

I have suggested that I might take a break from collecting next year, I came across a term recently which I very much identify with - FOMO - fear of missing out. That's it in a nutshell. Perhaps taking a break is a bit drastic (given my extreme FOMO), but after Toy Fair next year, once I know what's coming I might work out what I really want, and limit myself to only opening that stuff. See what I have stacked up that perhaps I don't want.

No comments:

Post a Comment