Monday, August 6, 2018

Exciting exclusives

Amazon exclusives incoming! When I first saw the pictures of the new Punch/Counterpunch my first thought through my mind was we’re getting a new Pointblank!!! Actually I couldn’t remember which targetmaster has those diagonal shoulder pieces, but I was excited.

Wow, he looks great. As does Repugnus, though his beast mode proportions are perhaps a bit off. And Blast Off as well. What a set of exclusives! There will be the usual fun trying to track them down, but for three figures I didn’t think I particularly wanted, I can’t wait!

(I have Blast Off combined so a different head and altmode makes no odds, I have the TFCC P/CP and I have the Titanmaster Repugnus, which despite being a Monsterbot fan, I was also happy with.)

There's something particularly sneaky about the strategy Hasbro used on the four scramble city combiners, by not actually releasing one of each team (initially), they really built up the excitement for when they did release them as exclusives. But, in a slightly perverse way (since I've managed to get hold of them), I'm happier than I would have been with them. Sneaky.

There have just been a load of Amazon listings for the WFC stuff, nothing grabbing me too much though the Targetmaster angle looks promising. I don’t think I’ll get many Micromasters, though probably the Rescue patrol as they were in Victory. As I said before I really now want a complete 1987 lineup, Autobot Powermasters, and the Victory leaders. And a Leozack and Thunderclash!

Looking towards SDCC, as with every year I can't help but hope for some exciting reveals. Autobot Targetmasters, please!!! Actually I think I would be happy with reveals which could be pretools for the Target and Power masters. Have to take what you can get.

***********

Thinking about the reveals, Hound and Ultra Magnus? Maybe it’s because I’ve just watched the Machinima series (which was alright, but I found the Grimlock portrayal irritating), but weren’t they both on the vote for the next Prime list? With Shockwave also on the rumour list, does that mean Star Saber, Deszaras and Thunderwing might also be on the cards?! Please let it be so.

Well, the Hasbro panel has just happened and my bubble has been well and truly burst. I was hoping for at least one figure to get excited about, but nothing! The Micromasters do look good and, it’s funny that the reveals have been the set I said would get, the set I had as a kid (Race Car patrol) and the set I always wanted as a kid (Battle patrol).

Okay, so the grumpiness has died down a little and that Ironhide does look good, I will need to keep an eye on most of those figures! I think I was a bit spoilt by the Prime Wars trilogy in terms of character selection, but it's worth reminding myself that I was sceptical at the start of that trilogy as well - I was 'happy' with my Fansproject Superion and Menasor. Now I barely have any third party stuff left. I collect Transformers because I'm nostalgic for the 80's, but I'm now at the point where I'm fairly nostalgic for mid 2000's figures. Particularly when the figures have a significance to them, perhaps because I bought them on holiday, I'm reluctant to replace them.

As I think I’ve said before, for me the most important part of an action figure is the head sculpt and where a lot of the Universe Classics figures fall down is the head sculpt. The Datsuns and Sideswipe particularly, I wonder if it will be possible (though expensive) to swap the heads?

************

I don't mind the Combiner Wars Buzzsaw mold, I therefore decided to pick up the Laserbeak as perhaps it's time to retire my Real Gear figures. I think he looks better than Buzzsaw because he's toy not cartoon colours. A toy deco Buzzsaw (Target exclusive) was also revealed at SDCC, so might try and get that. The set would raise the prospect of needing to get Titans Return Rumble since it also contains Frenzy. Initially I passed because it looked too much like Rewind, but it would be nice to have figures which are consistent with each other.


Power of the Primes Hun-Gurrr turned up today. This is one of my favourite torsos. It's amazing that he completes my S1-S3 collection, but also I love all of his modes. I'm genuinely torn about how to display him. This is first figure that I find the stickers are a problem for me on, might need Reprolabels. It will definitely need the Perfect Effect upgrade set.


Masterpiece news again, Hound is being released! I don't really care for the character, but I think a bit of green in the display will add some variety. I will hold off initially as I'm hoping for a toy accurate deco as seems likely with Sunstreaker. Just Jazz, Mirage and Trailbreaker left to complete the S1 cars! V3 Optimus Prime? Fascinating...... MP Dinobot looks great, though sounds like some issues with his shoulders. Am saving up for Predaking at the moment so will be a little while before I can afford Dinobot, hopefully a solution will have been found by then.

**********

I've bought MCU Marvel Legends Ant-Man to get a Paul Rudd headsculpt for my Giant Man. It's great! I think in my collection Ant-Man is now definitely Scott Lang and Yellowjacket is Hank Pym. Wasp is still Janet Van Dyne though, so no MCU Wasp just yet unless they release a Michelle Pfeiffer figure (prequel film perhaps?!).


I also saw Ant-Man and the Wasp today. I thought it was brilliant. I love the Ant-Man films, slightly lower stakes, but I love how they use the size changing power to great effect. Some great stunts with cars. A good fun enjoyable Summer film.

Picked up a super cheap (2018) BAF Apocalypse on eBay from Hong Kong. Hope he actually turns up!

No comments:

Post a Comment