Saturday, August 4, 2018

For the Royalty!

For the Royalty!!! I've bought a Beast Wars Inferno. I've decided to hold off on picking up more Beast Wars figures in the hopes that we might get modern versions, but I've made an exception for Inferno on the grounds that he's the right size (compared to say, Terrorsaur), he had an interesting personality on the TV show and he's the right size for 3.75" Ant-Man to sit on.


Not much else else happening in Transformers land at the moment. One thing that occurred to me is that we don’t seem to be getting a Power of the Primes Waverider which is strange given the proposed Grand Max shell was clearly a potential reuse of a Waverider figure. Would also be keen for a Stranglehold.

**********

Wave 2 Prime Masters have made it to Asda and have finally found them. I like these little guys.


I'm getting a bit worried whether we're going to see any more Power of the Primes stuff at retail and so (since they're in stock online), I bought the W3 Terrorcons. Decided to get Rippersnapper at the same time since he's also available fairly cheaply. The UK getting W2 seems more likely than W3 (though I still remember Combiner Wars and the Stunticons......).

On the day they arrived W2 deluxes and voyagers were spotted in Smyths. I think I made the right decision!

The Terrorcons look like oversized (and articulated) versions of the G1 toys. They seem very chunky. Perfect really! Rippersnapper is great, will be a tough decision deciding which mode to keep him in. Abominus mode is still a contender, but if that's what I go for then might have to consider the Perfect Effect hands and feet.


Sinnertwin looks rather generic in robot mode, his arms have one of the best arm to leg transformations I've seen on a beast transformer. His back legs could be the G1 legs as they're small so as to be a bit more inconspicuous in robot mode. Not bad, but he's no Rippersnapper.

Cutthroat is also pretty good, but Blot is the other winner with Rippersnapper. A nice satisfying transformation, the bit with the claws is great, and full of character.

Also popped in an order for Outback, have decided just to order W3 online. He's a repaint so nothing too crazy, but it's great to have him in his 70s colour scheme.


**********

Found Sludge and Snarl! Whoop whoop. I nipped into Smyths in between listening to football on the radio, what a day! Strangely they're actually about the same size as the G1 figures (though Sludge has a slightly shorter tail). Snarl looks a reasonable size in robot mode because of the way his tail splits on his shoulders (a bit like Slag with his dino head). Sludge is just too small though, more than any of the others he needs to be a voyager. I really like them though, it's great to have a complete set of dinobots. In fact, once I've got Hun-Gurrr, I will have every character from S1-S3 of the cartoon in classics form, that is quite the milestone.


I think the W2 dinos display nicely with Slag, less so with Swoop due to his cartoon blue. And of course Grimlock as a voyager is much too large compared to Sludge. I almost wish Grimlock was also deluxe...

My main focus is now on the S4/1987 cast, Scorponok is sorely needed. There have been a few hints that we’re done with the Titan class. I want Scorponok as a leader so it doesn’t worry me particularly, but it does seem sad that they may stop making large figures because people wait until they’re discounted.


*********
*********

Deadpool 2! Yep, have seen it. I very much enjoyed it, really found myself laughing hard at some points. Good mix of action (plenty of arm breaking), humour and even some emotional (ish) bits. Josh Brolin is great as Cable. I'm a bit tempted to get a moped for Deadpool now!

(Also I think I need to make a custom Domino....)

Have hit a milestone - I'm done with buying Marvel 3.75" figures! Now of course, if they decide to release new figures then that's that's an entirely different thing, but I'm done with buying already released figures on eBay (and after getting Inferno this includes Transformers). The cheap figures from China seem to be drying up, so I think it's just in time. Domino just about scraped through. If I come across another character I want to make a custom of it's going to be raiding my parts bin and/or making resin copies. You can all be my witnesses! Jean Grey has the distinction of being my final figure, it’s quite a nice one but naturally she won’t stay as Jean for long.....


Any new stuff is fair game though. Speaking of which, I mentioned I bought some Jurassic World stuff. I painted up a raptor to look more like the original film. Pretty happy! Really enjoying my customising at the moment.


My Marvel collection is comic based, but I rather like popping MCU heads on them. Ant Man and Wasp are about the last figures I want MCU heads for, obviously Hasbro has given up on 3.75”, but I do have 6” figures for these two. They’re getting unmasked Legends figures, which for Scott Lang is cool (I have a Yellowjacket Hank Pym), but what about Janet and Hope? In my A:EMH focused mind, Wasp is Janet. Therefore if I'm going to pop an MCU head on Wasp it should be a Michelle Pfeiffer head! (Which if they did a unmasked Batman Returns Catwoman is actually feasible.) Anyway, I think it depends on how easily accessible the figures are and how much I have to pay to get them.

**********

I have used the head from First Class Jean Grey to improve my old Jean Grey. The hair colour is spot on and she actually has a sensible sized head.

I have upgraded my Absorbing Man and Drax with Hyperion thighs (painted AM's pupils as well), it always feels a bit risky when snapping legs apart, but I think they look pretty good. Extra articulation is always good.


I've made a second Luke Cage (no genuine Luke Cage parts were used - the head is a custom cast I made). I've also painted Jean Grey into (drumroll please.....), Crystal! I need to sort the belt out, but will probably leave it for the time being.




No comments:

Post a Comment