Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Spending spree

In my spending spree I re-bought movie 3.75" War Machine and Mark IV Iron Man. I already have them, but War Machine was the one from China-bay with no helmet or weapons. My Mark IV was missing a shoulder piece. I've bought them both carded. I wanted perfect versions of both as they're the versions which served as the inspiration for Avengers: EMH, they are pretty much there but both have a few scratches and chips straight off of the card. I also briefly investigated the Revolmini versions of WM and the Mark VI. Apparently they’re amazing, but expensive now, and for Iron Man, the wrong armour.


I also re-bought the Legends Mark 42 - I previously had the KO. I was in two minds whether I needed the official version of an armour from a film I’m not that bothered about, but I'm glad I did - the gold is lighter, the sculpt a bit more defined and the red plastic is shinier. (Actually, it’s pretty comparable on the torso, but the KO head and limbs are very dull.) Oh, and the armour on the hands doesn't fall off. All quite subtle in a photo, but it looks considerably better in person. Also bought Arnim Zola for my 3.75” collection (though he can do double duty), I have officially given up on my custom. It’s all about A:EMH, though I’d like it he turned up in the MCU again.



I also bought Cyberverse Grimlock, I was hoping I might see it in person but gave up and bought it on Amazon.

And a Jigglypuff for my Smash Bros. collection - would really like a Captain Falcon from World of Nintendo but it doesn't look too promising. And a Ness I suppose. Jigglypuff came with a Pikachu who looks considerably more suitable for a Smash Bros. set up than my old one (which I have no idea who even made it).


Earthrise Smokescreen has arrived. He looks great, almost like a mini Masterpiece. The robot and car modes are incredible, bring on Prowl and Bluestreak! The colours are almost spot on, though a lighter blue would be good. The headsculpt is very cartoon accurate which is not my thing, but I like that he will has a different sculpt to the other two Datsuns. It’s funny to think that up until quite recently I was content with the Universe version - they look terrible now.


Did I mention I bought Titans Returns Overkill? Bit fiddly as I couldn't remember how to get the Titanmaster in properly, but a great little mold. Such a shame they never made a Slugfest. (Or Steeljaw - I really like the Ramhorn as well.)


Just paid for Super 7 Raphael. Very excited, hope he lives up to expectation! He and Mumm-Ra should be here soon. Well (drum roll please), he looks great! A perfect cross between the vintage and the Playmates Classics. The look of the vintage (like Transformers I prefer a toy look), with the posability of the Classics but without the blatent pins. I really like how they’ve done the pattern of the shell, and the size is just right, scaling nicely with Thundercats and Legends (Playmates Classics were too big). I waited a long long time but Super 7 have delivered, bring on the rest plus the Thundercats!


I bought a new (ish) TR Fortress Maximus! This was really quite ridiculous (and a little painful considering how cheaply I could have bought a new one for a couple of years back), but I got it just for the clear green chest window. I've never liked the Takara one despite it being perfect in every other respect. Finally my Fort Max is properly toy accurate.


I've opened Black Shadow. I didn't buy it when it came out because I thought I would get Thunderwing instead. It only recently occurred to me given that figure never happened, Black Shadow was fair game. The Titans Returns leaders are brilliant so it's no problem to have another. His colours are very Decepticon and its kinda cool to have all of the IDW 'phase sixers'.


I also opened Quake, I've had him for ages and kinda thought he might get another release, but a redeco of Hardhead is again not a problem. Need Needlenose now! I also like his colours. It's not G1 toy accurate but I've decided he should wear his turret as an homage to Megatron, I think it looks pretty good on his back rather than forwards like Hardhead. I know I've said this before but Titans Return was so good, I'm all caught up now apart from..... Quickswitch.


Annoyingly I picked up the boxset that he came in but sold the figure. After opening Greatshot I really wanted Sixknight to complete the (Japanese) six-changer trio. The G1 figure is a bit dumpy and so I decided that Titans Return Quickswitch is a better placeholder than G1 Quickswitch. It's funny, Black Shadow is a Japanese placeholder for the US Thunderwing, and the US Quickswitch is a placeholder for the Japanese Sixknight. I think they look good together, I like that the chest fins can tuck away for Quickswitch and are a different size for Greatshot to distinguish them in terms of shape as well as colour.


Last year I was concerned about the level of my spending, I’ve recently bought a lot of new things but it feels somewhat controlled. Everything I’ve bought I’ve wanted for a while, and planned to get at some point. The extra money came from selling things I no longer wanted so it feels okay (more on that at some point). I think my challenge now is not giving into any impulse purchases which aren’t well considered despite having a bit of money. It feels quite nice not having a ‘want’ list for things from eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment