Monday, October 12, 2020

Really really organised

I set myself an objective several years ago to 'organise' my collection. I don't think I actually knew what that meant at the time, but I have finally got here now. I've packed up my entire collection into IKEA boxes. I've got 15 of the boxes with the largest footprint (of which 12 are the really shallow ones and 3 are just huge). Within each box, each figure is bagged up in an acid-free baggy, with instructions, parts and a little note to say the name and year of the figure. Large figures are wrapped in bubble wrap. 

The boxes are organised, so of the shallower boxes, two are G1 (one Actionmasters, Micromasters and reissues, one everything else), one Beast Wars (actual Beast Wars rather than the Generations figures), one everything in between Beast Wars and Combiner Wars, one Combiner Wars, one Titans Return and Power of the Primes, two 3.75" Marvel (one Avengers/street/mystic, the other X-Men/cosmic), one 6" Marvel, one video games and Star Wars (and other 3.75" stuff), one Turtles, Thundercats, Ghostbusters and Power Rangers, and one Masterpiece, WST and non-transforming Transformers (vinyl/Kreo). Of the large boxes, one is Metroplex, Trypticon, Omega Supreme, Unicron and Sky Lynx. One is Fortress Maximus, Scorponok, Predaking, Overlord, God Ginrai and Dai Atlas. The final box is my Lego Ghostbusters firehouse, Lego AT-AT, Minimates Thundertank, TB2 and TB3, and various 3.75" vehicles.

I started doing this because I wanted to be organised. As it happens I'm going to be moving house soon so am really well set. I've sold loads of things off as well, a mammoth task in itself. A few bits I was a bit reluctant to list, but I did it. I am organised now!

My collection is much simpler now, before I had G1 reissues, G1 leaders, G1 animal based Transformers ('Primatives'), Classics, Masterpiece, WST/Micromasters, toys I had as a kid, and Grimlocks and Ravages. Now I have most things in one collection - I have the best version of each character, so if a character doesn't have a modern update then it's the G1 figure. I no longer have G1 as separate collections. I have very limited Masterpiece and WST collections, and still have my Grimlock and Ravage collection, but otherwise it's one big collection. This meant getting rid of most of my reissues and G1 toys, and..... it feels good. For ages I kept them because they were the first things I bought when I started collecting, and you 'need' G1 Prime in your collection, and I had some of them as a kid. But, yeah, it feels okay. I feel free now, it's a good feeling! 

Despite having lots of things to get rid of, I don’t regret any of it. It was all part of the journey. The only thing I wish I hadn’t bought into is third party figures. Perfect Effect’s Warden (Fortress Maximus) is the only one I have left. Upgrade kits on the other hand, I am glad I bought and although I don’t have any of those anymore, they also feel like part of the journey.

I have got rid of figures I really like, figures that remind me of being a child. But they’ve spent the last ten years in a box. And just because I’ve got rid of a figure, I still have those memories. There are many great figures which I don’t have, but you know what? I don’t need to own them! My collection is mostly a concept in my head, I enjoy the thought of having complete groups or sets. That means I don’t need multiple versions of the same characters, G1 toy or not. With all the selling I always think ‘never again’, but the combination of rearranging my collection and WFC putting out great new versions of characters meant a lot of sell at once. Hopefully I can stop my list of things to sell building up too much again, I know the staff at the local post office very well now. 

An aside from this is I have a bit of money to play with now, if a WFC Black Zarak or Marvel Legends Galactus is announced then I'm all in. (I do need to own those.)

My Mastepiece collection is now Prime, Grimlock, Soundwave, Bumblebee, and MP-36+ Megatron. I previously had the regular version which didn’t quite work for me. I wasn’t immediately sure about this ‘toy’ deco version but once I got him into a pose from his G1 boxart I was sold. He looks great and a good counterpart to Prime. (Who has dead eyes, I’m wondering whether to paint them, perhaps in yellow.) I’d get a Blaster if/when they do him, but am now very happy with my minimal Masterpiece collection.


Speaking of Bumblebee, I actually opened him. Even as a kid I appreciated VW Beetles because of Bumblebee so it's great to have a figure with that altmode. The colour is perfect (it's a bit like the Legends X-Men), gold/light orange colour. I found Bumblebee's G1 cartoon face didn't work for me, so very glad to find I had the alternate face with toy look (I'd forgotten I even had it). Grimlock, Bumblebee and Megatron all have their G1 toy looks. Need to work out how to get Prime and Soundwave to match.


Strong Guy (wave) turned up. This is the first time I've bought an entire wave of Marvel Legends (I did once buy an entire wave of DC Universe to get the BAF Bane). Sadly I don't want any of the actual figures but Strong Guy looks great, he adds quite the presence to my display - I've got X-Factor displayed with the Blue and Gold teams, a little Excalibur (Captain Britain, Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde), and a bit of X-Force (Cable). Need Wolfsbane. 


Pulsecon! Beast Wars Megatron, Blackarachnia, Optimus Primal and Rattrap. Warpath and Cyclonus! They all look great. But I’m not sure about whether I need them. I plan to pick them up and make a decision when they're in hand. If Megatron has the option of removing the tail to reveal a hand then would definitely need that. Cheetor is a done deal. Also some promising hints from the ark work they showed off.

The leaked Hot Rod and Scourge looks amazing, Kup I'm not sure about. I really like the Generations figure, but I think the new one will likely fit in better with Hot Rod and probably Blurr when we see him. I think Kingdom Ultra Magnus, Rhinox and Waspinator are also going to fall into the same category of ‘not quite sure’. Tracks, Huffer, Airrazor, Dinobot and Tigatron I think are going to be dead certs. Gears is in the artwork, a definite maybe.

The Marvel Legends reveals weren’t overwhelming, but the 21 characters I wanted were down to 20 with the Falcon reveal (and one of my top wants as well). It's exactly the version I want. I then came across a preorder for the Hellfire set, I kind of assumed that it would be really hard to get and/or very expensive. But I got it at a reasonable price and so have Emma Frost, my list is quickly down to 19. Her outfit doesn't match that from Wolverine and the X-Men, but given we're unlikely to get another option soon, I'll take it. Green Ranger is in the next wave of Power Rangers so will almost be done with that. Super 7 have shown off their next wave of TMNT - Donatello for me. Preorders in.

Had a bit of a switch up of my Marvel Legends, previously I had my all X-Men display but now have got what I consider to be the most 'pure' display. 90's cartoon X-Men, A:EMH Avengers, Spider-Man and Fantastic 4. Seems like a long time since I had Avengers and Fantastic 4 out. So many great figures.

My mind is still searching for things I want, Mega Bloks Splinter (from the Technodrome set) and a sword for POTP Predaking. Both on their way! I'm eying up a couple of Lego sets but I don't think there's anything else I've wanted but dismissed. I'm really really caught up.

No comments:

Post a Comment