Saturday, December 12, 2020

Awesome and large

Falcon arrived, very happy with the deco (I was kinda worried they might have gone with the 70's version). Though he's got the same wings as Vulture, I played with him a bit more. I even gave him a little swoosh. The butterfly joints are excellent for a good flight pose. Ready for Falcon and Winter Soldier, he completes my essential Avengers lineup. Baron Zemo also arrived, he doesn’t complete anything but with Enchantress he’s the other main member of the Masters of Evil. Actually thinking about it, he is going to be in the upcoming Disney+ series so the timing is pretty good.




I bagged up a few of my recent Legends purchases, so many awesome large figures - Sasquatch, Abomination, Kingpin and Rhino. Wow! I have hit a bit of a milestone, I have listed absolutely everything I want to sell, I've sold enough stuff such that the remaining things fit in one box. And everything I’ve bought has arrived. There is balance! (I still need to actually sell the things I’m selling but it feels like an achievement.) My next achievement should be to actually open everything I’ve bought, I’m doing well with Legends but some WFC stuff has crept up on me (ten things to open.....).


Have gone a couple of weeks without buying anything, I feel a bit lost. Did have a look for Netflix Bumblebee but nothing doing. Various websites have had wave 1 of Kingdom, gotta say, the molds look great but almost all of them look like Hasbro are looking to release premium deco versions later down the line. G1 wise, surely there's going to be a toy/darker version of Cyclonus. BW Megatron's purple on his chest seem a bit bright plus some random sand colour on his dino mode. Cheetor and Blackarachnia both could do with some metallic paint, and for Cheetor something a bit darker. Rattrap could also do with a couple of extra paint apps. Now I think about it, it's the same with Studio Series - Jazz could do with some more paint apps, and surely there's going to be a toy deco Grimlock. I'm not sure whether to jump in or wait. I think Blackarachnia, Cheetor, and Cyclonus from Kingdom wave 1. Everything from Studio Series. It's strange when I'm expecting better versions of these toys.


**********


I had another look for Bumblebee, again nothing doing but I did pick up Legends Ms. Marvel for 10 quid. Technically, I've not seen her in anything so she's not eligible for the collection, but I figure I'll most likely watch the Disney plus series so it's an inevitability I'll need her. Shang-Chi is in a similar situation but I'm not sure the Liu Kang look is his classic look. Anyway, Ms. Marvel is a nice figure, I like the Mr. Fantastic hands even if I don't know much about the character (beyond the description on Wiki).



I've opened some Transformers. I started with Red Alert, I passed on him initially because I was happy with the Henkei figure. He looks great though I would have appreciated a MTMTE look since he's Cybertronian. Probably just inverting the colours would have done it. Thinking about it, I'm not sure I knew who he was as a kid. Next was Impactor. I passed on him initially because he wasn't in the cartoon, but then I remembered I collect Marvel era Wreckers (to justify Topspin, Twintwist and Roadbuster). He reminds me of Generations Darkmount/Skullgrin. Nice transformation and colour wise, he's fairly unique.




Then I opened Apeface. A solid design, though I didn't take the time to really peg the ape and plane modes together properly. Quite what they were thinking with the milky plastic I don't know, and less is definitely more when it comes to 'battle damage', and the tolerance for the peg on the shield is poor (which luckily I knew about in advance). Then.... Snapdragon. He's great and what Apeface should have been - tidy plane mode and nice grey plastic. The way the heads are implemented for the beast modes is great on both though. These are two characters I really never thought I'd get so very happy to have them. Bring on the Autobot Targetmasters and Throttlebots!



Speaking of Targetmasters. I'm ready for Artfire! I opened Grapple and Hoist. Again, I knew about the issues with Grapple so didn't transform him fully, but really happy with him. Despite my general preference for toy accuracy, I did once toy with the idea of getting the United version of him to get the orange head. I really liked the old version but this one has much less of a belly. He's great. Hoist I had as a kid, and so I'm really familiar with the weight distribution of the toy - I really noticed the weight difference without the die-cast. Again, I was quite fond of the previous Generations version (MTMTE), but it's nice for him to be slightly bigger. He's pretty good. Overall though, they're really good.


And finally I got Runamuck, and opened him and Runabout. That's Earthrise done for me. I made it through the maze of nightmare exclusives. Runamuck is the better looking, mostly because of the red. It's a shame they couldn't work some orange into Runabout. The proportions are better than the old club exclusives but I did like that old Wheeljack mold. I'm not too sure about the faux chest part - it doesn't seem like it would have been too difficult to get the roof piece into place, but I can live with it. Thinking about it most of the figures I've had with faux parts have been Optimus Primes - the Powermaster and Classics figures particularly. I would have liked Runamuck and Runabout to reflect their original car modes a little more - Lotus and Pontiac, but again it's fine. I like the extra wheels on the feet to give a bit more of a G1 look. Overall, pretty happy but perhaps only a modest improvement over the previous versions. Essential characters for me though, I had Runamuck as a kid so it's nice to have them look consistent with the 84/85 Autobot cars.



I've got almost all of my toys in storage now, with the exception of Transformers Masterpieces, Mattel/Super 7 Thundercats/TMNT, Marvel Legends (Guardians, AEMH Avengers, WXM X-Men, Fantastic 4, Spidey, Deadpool, Daredevil, Punisher and Silver Surfer). I think I might need to add War Machine, Ghost Rider and Blade, and I've got all my favourites out. I’ve just put Spider-Man, Wolverine, Thing and War Machine next to each other. If I added Luke Cage and Iron Fist I’d have the A:EMH New Avengers. I know I’ve said it before but really not a fan of that buck. Especially on Venom.


I also have a S1/S2 Classics (WFC) Autobots shelf The only things I have left will join that last group. Given I've only recently opened MP v1 Bumblebee, I reckon I must have had unopened stuff for over six years if not longer. Wow!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment