Monday, December 28, 2020

Plague of Diaclone

found myself looking at the Diaclone page on the Transformers Wiki, I can't remember exactly why. I think I wanted to read about Spin-Out and Cordon. Anyway, I was starting to think that if they did a blue Bluestreak I might need to get it. It turns out I need to start collecting the Diaclone version of Generations toys. I've already got Crosscut, I've bought Tigertrack and Exhaust, and have preordered Spin-Out and Cordon. I think part of my thinking is that in some magical world where money is no object, I’ve always liked the idea of buying every G1 figure (in multiple for each altmode), which would include all of the Diaclone toys as year figures (and the the other predecessor lines), including all of the variants. This is a small step towards that dream. The ability of my brain to identify new things I need is amazing!

I found a thread speculating on future Selects releases, which I had read a few days ago. Someone posted a picture of many of the Diaclone figures. That picture nestled its way into my subconscious, then emerged as an idea. 'Why don't I get the Diaclone version of Generations toys?' Weird. I think the same sort of thing happened with Star Wars Black - because I look at online shops selling toys I see things from all of the different lines, into my head they go. Then I see something, or listen to a podcast and that little subconscious thought is given life. Because of the overlap between the fandoms of the various Hasbro properties I can’t help hearing about them, and then I have to buy stuff. It's those ideas which are the most exciting part about collecting for me though. A collection is a physical thing, but it is also a mental thing - a collection of ideas.


So my idea for 6" Star Wars Black of collecting all lightsaber wielding characters except main main characters changed a little (what a shock!). My canon for Star Wars includes the Clone Wars cartoon (not that one). It includes Asajj Ventress, so I put in a preorder. It was basically a Clone Wars cartoon collection but without Obi-Wan, Anakin and Dooku. I then looked at the DVD covers and decided they are necessary. Walgreens even put out an Obi-Wan in clone armour, it was meant to be! Not to do things by half I've bought Episode II and Clone Wars/Episode III Obi-Wan and Anakin. And I bought Dooku. All I need is a prequel era Yoda and I'm set. Having my collection based around a TV series put Star Wars in line with my other collections.


I bought all of those new figures far too late at night, too late to be looking at a screen and too late to decide whether I really want them. That said, when I woke the next day I didn't feel any buyer's remorse. I realise that if I think something's cool I'll end up getting it. The only exception is when I can't make sense of it. I need to be able to get all of a set, and try as I might my brain doesn't cope very well with defining its own sets. I'm far less likely to get one off items. Case in point, the only thing I can think of that's cool that I don't own is the Storm Collectibles Mortal Kombat figures. The reason is I don't think there's any chance of a complete set (aside from every ninja). If they did Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade and Kano then I'd be there. (I think they did a Raiden.) I also didn't buy the Haslab Unicron, or Omega Supreme, or Jetfire. I can do it!


Talking about Star Wars canon, I’ve rewatched Force Awakens, Last Jedi, and Rise of Skywalker, and I’ve decided that Darth Plagueis is Snoke! Sure Snoke died in Last Jedi, but then Plagueis died once before. There’s a lot of fan theories about the whole thing and that’s what I’m going with. If Rise of Skywalker is (partially) believed then striking down a Sith causes their spirit to pass into you. Plagueis could have passed into Palpatine. Plagueis could have created a series of clone bodies for himself on the Sith world, then resurrected/saved Palpatine. I like the sequel trilogy I think they did a good job of having the balance of action and quest type plot lines, it might just need a little extra head cannon.


I’ve managed to go down a bit of a rabbit hole with Star Wars. I started thinking about getting some more vehicles. Funnily enough mostly ones that I had previously as Transformers, but upgrading to 3.75” versions. But bloody hell, Star Wars stuff is ridiculously expensive! I think I’ve just about convinced myself to wait and see what comes out in the next few years - people who grew up with the prequel trilogy are of age now. It seems quite likely Hasbro will want to tap into that.


I think Star Wars toy appreciation can be split into three parts. The Jedi/Sith themselves (probably best as 6” stuff?), Storm/Clone troopers plus the land vehicles that go with them (best as 3.75”), and finally the spaceships (probably best as micro scale but some possible as 3.75” scale). I’ve been collecting the first group for a while but am ready to move into the second.


Modular Armour Iron Man is rumoured for a Legends Iron Man wave and so..... I've bought the deluxe War Machine figure. I don't have any comic based armours but it would be good to have comic (well cartoon for me really) figures. Look like some good accessories with Rhodey so all good. It's been an expensive end to the year.


Some 3.75” Jedi have come in, Adi Gallia, Eeth Koth and Quinlan Vos. I wasn't expecting much from the first two since they are quite old, but I quite like a soft goods skirt (more so than a robe anyway). Vos is pretty good, he looks bored though. Too much sitting around desert planets, I spotted him in Episode I. Oh, I’ve just bought a couple more, plus a Jedi Starfighter or two......



And to top it off I got Netflix Soundwave. He was in stock from today, I kept on refreshing, he popped in and I snagged him. Very happy! That will be my Xmas present to myself. Well, I finish the year with Runabout, Bluestreak, Bumblebee and Soundwave, I can't ask more than that. But the highlight of the year has most definitely been Scorponok, he's incredible and was top of my wish list ever since FansProject started doing their headmasters and put the idea in my head that perhaps collecting the '87 figures was a good idea. It was. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment