Saturday, September 26, 2026

Combiners 2.0

They’re doing Nintendo Lego with actual Mario minifigs. I think I’m onboard. It feels quite rare when new things pop up that I’m interested in. I think Lego is the main thing that if they try something I might go for it. Marvel, Batman, Star Wars, Thundercats, Turtles, Ghostbusters, video games, and  Power Rangers, I’m (pretty much) done with action figures. But in brick form, I could be tempted. It’s the main area where I could still be tempted to spend a large amount of money as opposed to the odd figure. Outside of the Baxter Building (main want), I could be tempted by Wayne Manor, Hyrule Castle, or the Cat’s Lair. (The last one is extremely unlikely given they’re not even making brick built Thundercats stuff.) The idea of getting Hyrule Castle and making a Smash Bros display on the roof is particularly fun!


Hasbro also have a license for Legend of Zelda. I think I’d stick with 3.75” for Link and Zelda, but if they did a Gannondorf in 6” it still might work for me. Would need it to be Ocarina of Time style of course.


Monstructor has finally arrived, I’d kinda forgotten about it to be honest. I think I like the individual robot modes more than Dinoking - the headsculpt and colours pop a bit more. The less said about the alt modes the better. They are effectively three pairs - Wildfly and Scowl are great (elbows), Icepick and Bristleback are okay (no elbows, but arms a decent length at least), and Slog and Birdbrain (no elbows and stumpy arms). Actually Birdbrain is almost in a class of its own - those Sludge hips are doing a lot of work for the combined mode whilst severely compromising the individual robot mode. I like the combined mode headsculpt - I remember reading the IDW comics and trying to make a custom head for the G1 with the same expression. So, overall pretty happy although digging out the G1 shells for the photo was a hassle!










Bruticus has also arrived. Well, Onslaught and Swindle at least. Took me a while to open it, and even longer to transform it into Bruticus, but I’m actually really impressed with it, probably Onslaught more than Swindle, though I don’t mind the yellow as much as I thought I would. I was already signed up for the inevitable toy deco version, but actually combining it made me think again. Maybe not. I’ve gone from already being signed up to ‘wait and see’. Menasor seems like the junior partner by comparison - Bruticus just has more heft. I’m really enjoying this second generation of Generations combiners, Bruticus has rejuvenated my excitement!







In other combiner news, Liokaiser is on its way. It’s truly combiner month. I think my top figures of the year pick themselves - ML Grimlock, Monstructor, Bruticus, Liokaiser, and (if it arrives in time) Beast Wars Galvatron.



Finally, I went to see the rerelease of the Transformers Movie. I didn’t see it in the cinema back in the day (I also have a traumatic VHS tale of woe). Really enjoyed it, I don’t think I’ve seen that particular version before (with the swear), but seeing it on a bigger screen I noticed more things (like background characters). I enjoyed the Awakening as well though I agree with some online comments that it maybe wasn’t that coherent. Nice to hear Peter Cullen’s final work at least. What a legend.



No comments:

Post a Comment