Sunday, May 31, 2009

Alternators, Binaltech and Masterpiece

So it was Botcon 2009 this week, not much for people who aren't fans of the Movie line but a couple of snippets of interesting news.

There's a Voyager Bludgeon with swords, I have a particular weakness for Transformers with swords, and a Movie inspired figure is no exception. (I also splashed out $100 on a Drift figure which is going to be released at a Singaporean convention, hope I don't regret that.) There's also going to be a couple more reissues - Perceptor and the Insecticons, I've already got a couple of sets of Insecticons but I'm sure you can never have too many....

Perhaps the most significant bit of news is that the Classics/Universe line will return in Autumn 2010. I'm particularly happy about that, I'm also quite grateful about the delay, I've almost got all the G1 figures I want, that means between now and then there will be a couple of 3rd party figures (FansProject mainly), Device Label, Marvel Universe and that's it. I'm sure my wallet will be extremely grateful if I can resist other temptations.

The other exciting thing about Botcon for me was the exclusive Razorclaw figure, I wasn't there so had to resort to ebay. Expensive but not too bad (compared to 2007). I was thinking he would look pretty sweet displayed next to Jazz ala the Jazz spotlight (see: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Spotlight_Jazz_a.jpg). Given that Razorclaw is a voyager then perhaps Alternator Jazz would be the way to go.

I have Alternator Grimlock and I intend to get Masterpiece Grimlock. I'm considering getting Alternator Ravage (Jaguar version). I have thus far resisted all other Alternator/Binaltech and Masterpiece figures. Initially this was because the figures didn't really appeal to me - had they got a Lamborghini or Volkswagon license (you can see what figures I wanted) I would have gone for them. As it was, Smokescreen was nowhere near his G1 self and I don't really like the Sunstreaker/Sideswipe figures. Equally I couldn't quite convince myself on the Megatron and Starscream Masterpiece figures.

So far so good, combined with the massive cost of getting those figures (especially now), it's looking like quite a good decision. Additionally I didn't want to start collecting a 4th G1 set (after G1, WST and Classics/Universe). But somehow those figures are calling out to me, especially when you see some of the stuff Reprolabels have done......

And then there's also the issue of scale, the Alternator line fits in very nicely with the 3.75 inch scale figures. I'm not a fan of GI Joe but there are a few pieces of artwork which makes me think that human figures display well with bots, and so the Marvel Universe figures with Alternators would look pretty cool. (It's a shame the last Marvel/Transformers crossover was so lame.)

So I want some figures, but certainly not all of them. But where to draw the line? I think the best place to start is with the Masterpiece figures. It then follows that given the distinct lack of Decepticons in the Alternators line that any collection I start would be Autobot based. (I would have to make an exception should a Soundwave Masterpiece figure be created though.)

I used to display my sports car based G1 figures together (Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Jazz, Smokescreen, Tracks, Mirage, Stepper, Wheeljack and Hot Rod). All of those characters have Alternator figures, perhaps with a bit of customisation thrown in, that could work quite nicely.

Maybe I'll just pick up Jazz and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment