Friday, May 15, 2009

Being a Completist

When you're utterly obsessed with collecting something it's very hard not to be a completist. I think I'm somewhere between the 2 extremes - I tend to be a bit completist about sub-groups.

For example, the Animated line. Quite a few of the figures look cool - Soundwave for instance. But I couldn't cope with just having a random figure, it would be okay if I collected Soundwave figures, it would be okay if there were several 'cassettes' to go with him. But there aren't so I didn't. Grimlock on the other hand (ignoring the fact that I collect Grimlocks), has his 2 dinobot chums to go with him and so isn't so random.

In the Energon line, I couldn't just get 1 or 2 of the Terrorcons, I had to get all of them. (Although I got the Cybertron 'Dark' Scorponok rather than the actual Energon release.) It is my philosophy to get the best deco of a particular mold, another example of this is the Seacons. I collect G1, and I collect animal transformers. The G1 Seacons you think would fit quite nicely into such a collection, but alas to me the colour scheme on the Beast Wars II versions is far superior and so I picked that up in preference (and so haven't got the Nautilator mold).

So I'm rambling a bit, what was my original point.......... oh yes, being completist. So one of my collecting aims is (was perhaps) to get all the Transformers I had as a child, I now have them all except Runabout, who I just can't bring myself to get. To make up for this non-completeness I have made a custom version, additionally I had (and so got) Triggerhappy, I then decided he needed his Targetmaster mates and so Slugslinger and Misfire as well. So now got all the Decepticon Headmasters and Powermasters (plus all the original/proper Targetmasters).

I try not to be completist but sometimes it just plays on my mind, like the Botcon seekers for instance, having Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker I could cope with, but Starscream, Skywarp and Ramjet!? Please, just have all my money.............

No comments:

Post a Comment