Friday, August 27, 2010

The Future is Clear(er)

In previous blogs I have anticipated the end of my collecting - what happens when the likes of (Transformers) Classics in all its incarnations and Marvel Universe finish up. And finish up they will - the pool of well known characters is running out, and I have no desire to own multiple toys of particular characters.

I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to stop buying the IDW Transformers comics - I just haven't been enjoying it that much, combine that with my finishing my g1 collection and it's hard to see where my continued interest will lie.

I think the Hunt for the Decepticons line has hinted at what will happen - I will cherry pick the best figures from the new lines, if they're interesting, if I can fit them into my own little universe. In addition there might well be newer versions of old favourites - in the same way that Marvel continuously produce Spider-Man figures, presumably most figures will get updated again.

Toy companies are not known for giving us everything we want in one go, they know by releasing it in dribs and drabs we will inevitably be tempted by other figures that we didn't even known we were interested in!

I think my future really lies in customs - I really enjoy coming up with ideas and learning new techniques to make ever more professional (I hope) custom figures. New figures will lead to new ideas! I think some Heart of Steel type customs would be fun. (I love the idea of a zeppelin!)

In addition I have a long running (since childhood) dream to create a Micromaster City - thinking about it I've got Fortress Maximus, Metroplex, Scorponok, Trypticon (plus Motormaster and Onslaught), Overlord, God Ginrai and Omega Supreme on the baseformer front, plus Countdown, Groundshaker, Skystalker, Skyhopper and Greasepit actual micromaster bases. I reckon that would make for quite a good (united faction) city. I could then of course make a few extra custom bits (probably involving raiding a hobby store) to make it more city like. Sadly though I reckon that could be a retirement type project unless I get a house with a particularly large loft!

Some interesting news on upcoing releases over the last week - from Mattel we've got some a boxset of Ghostbuster figures - the 4 ghostbusters plus Slimer. I then saw about Wave 16 of DC Universe featuring Azrael Batman and BAF Bane. After some quick calculations, and a look on ebay this is probably the cheapest (and presumably best in terms of quality) way of getting these characters. They're 6 inch obviously, but an Azrael/Bane face off and the ghostbusters will be the exception to my usual 3.75 inch rule. (The only other exception is Sub-Zero versus Scorpion with a loitering Reptile.)

I recently concluded that the Infinite Heroes line had died a death and so started planning a custom Harley Quinn figure - I'm not sure why, but out of all the Batman characters (except Azrael and Bane) that I really want a figure of, Harley is up there at the top of the list. On the day I was going to go out and buy a base figure for the custom, a prototype figure pops up on ebay. Amazing, and there's apparently an Poison Ivy figure too. Sweet! (For those keeping track, there's only Penguin, Riddler and Mr Freeze left.)

While I was thinking about these figures, as is so often the case I started thinking about all the things I collect and whether there is anything else missing - Thundercats are an obvious gap but they should be getting some figures next year, I've got all the turtles, I'll have all the ghostbusters. I came up with Power Rangers - I previously decided just to get Dragonzord and Tigerzord, on the grounds that (Dino) Megazord was a bit rubbish and Titanus was a bit random. Thinking about this further I realised that I still wanted the two latter items so I quickly pre-ordered on BBTS and vowed to sell the Tigerzord.

I often think about what motivates my collecting (justifying what I do and don't have), and it's basically about what stuff I wanted as a kid - the Turtles, the Ghostbusters, the Thundercats, the Power Rangers, the Transformers. Star Wars. Computer Games and Marvel/DC have come a bit later. But in all cases it's pretty much the main characters, or in some cases the figures from the first series or two of the cartoon.

I've got the Turtles, I'll soon have the Power Rangers and Ghostbusters, I'll get Thundercats next year, I've got Star Wars (miniatures plus Transformers), Transformers, Marvel and DC are in progress (Generations, Universe and Infinite Heroes) and computer games (Sonic, Nintendo, Mortal Kombat and Earthworm Jim) are almost done (if they ever release those 5 inch Wario and Bowser figures..........).

I sometimes think how amazing it is that I've got pretty much everything I ever wanted (I've accepted that the Turtlewagon and Ecto-1 are a step too far, might get a Thundertank next year though!). I almost have a toy of every character I've ever thought was cool and that's quite something.

The sun is shining, the birds are singing, life couldn't be better!!!

********************************

To get (Transformers): Blast Off, Swindle, Straxus, Terradive, Highbrow, Blurr, Scourge, Tracks, Jazz, Skullgrin, Perceptor, Windcharger, Grapple, Thunderwing, Dinoking and Wheeljack, Reflector, Broadside, Eject, Rewind (if we get them!).

To get (Marvel/DC): Ms Marvel, Ghost Rider, Phoenix, Thanos, Galactus, Azrael, Bane, Cyclops, Apocalypse, Sentinel and Mandarin, Venom, Carnage, Storm, Loki, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy (if we ever get them!).

No comments:

Post a Comment