Monday, August 23, 2010

Looking Back..........

I've just been reading through some of my 2009 posts and it's quite interesting to look back on my thoughts, hopes and excitement in hindsight. I thought it would be good to go over a few things I wrote about and see what happened and how I feel about them now.

Most importantly I got that set of shelves and have my collection nicely displayed (if a little crammed), I really will post some photos soon! I'm sticking to the rotation system idea, so I've rotated in g1 Jetfire and Stunticons for their Classics update (well, with the Stunticons it was Drag Strip and Motormaster/Energon Onslaught). I'm really proud of my 'faction' based display and it's quite fun deciding where figures not in the comics should fit in. (More discussion on that when I post those photos.........)

I'm not so disappointed with the Infinite Heroes figures now - I've got Two-Face, and I've grown to accept them. They seemed to have stopped now which is kinda sad. I'm looking at the DC Universe Azrael-Batman figure and wondering how I could fit that figure in - I read the Knightfall storyline in the early 90's so feel a particular attachment to the characters (Azrael, Bane and Nightwing). the Marvel Universe is still going very strong and with Galactus, Apocalypse, Carnage and Juggernaut, I'm getting the villains I was really hoping for.

I did finally get all the g1 figures I wanted (about 10 months later than planned), but it's going to be a while before the 'savings' kick in as there's some expensive Fansproject figures on the horizon - the Bruticus upgrade - I got my wish! Just hoping for a Devastator upgrade now.

The Classics line did return as 'Generations', I've got the Drift figure and think he's awesome - again, transformers with swords are brilliant beyond words. Not too disappointed with having splashed out for a resin kit last year. We're getting pretty much all of the key characters that were left so it's an amazing time to be collecting.

I ended up getting the Jazz alternator (now 'jazzed' up with reprolabels), he doesn't really fit but he'll display nicely with either MP Grimlock and Classics Bumblebee (Classic Pretender style) or Botcon Razorclaw. I also got Alternator Ravage (the second one). Really amazing figures and if I had the space I could well be tempted by the other Alternators.

I ended up getting the Wonderfest Ultra Magnus and Springer WST figures - very expensive, plus the Blaster and Shockwave figures. I've also got the WST KO combiners which work very nicely in scale with the official releases. Some of the colours are a bit off (KO style) so a bit of paint will be needed there!

I've tried my very best not to be completest - as far as I'm concerned I'm done with collecting g1, but various reissues could tempt me. I now have a list of 'hypothetical' figures figures which I'd buy if I won the lottery (I don't actually play the lottery so it seems unlikely). But it has figures which either take up too much space (e.g. micromaster bases), are too expensive (e.g. Black Zarak, Japanese exclusive dinosaur cassettes) or simply I don't really like (e.g. Firecons). I tried only to be completest about subgroups but there are some figures which would 'fill' a gap but aesthetically I just can't convince myself on.

I still have the dilemma about ordering (in advance) online or waiting for something to arrive at retail. With the first waves of a line (such as Generations), there was no problem waiting because it was certain that the UK would get the first wave. Equally I feel pretty confident with Darkmount/Straxus (who I think is wave 2), but Blurr in wave 4 is really rather uncertain. I've got him preordered at BBTS and it remains to be seen whether I'll hold. Equally with Marvel Universe, I waited and waited for Archangel (he turned up at Forbidden Planet as his wave mates were there), but he was short packed and so I've ended up paying double on ebay. It looks like it could be simpler with the Hunt for the Decepticon figures - there's no sign of wave 1 so it's a no-brainer with the later waves to order them online.

It's sad having to buy things online to be certain of getting things. One of the my best collecting moments was when I tried a few stores for Universe Superion, and eventually after a fairly lengthy train journey found him. It was a great day. (Funnily enough some of my local stores back in the UK have about 30 odd Movie Superion figures so I needn't have bothered!)

I'm really looking forward to the next year or so and there's some great stuff on it's way!

No comments:

Post a Comment