Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Real quirky

I've preordered Masterpiece Cheetor, I realised that I have a soft spot for big cats and the Universe figure is just plain shocking. I'm not getting Optimus Primal just yet as I like having the original Ultra figure in the same class as Lio and Big Convoy as well as Megatron. I'd happily get a Tigatron repaint though and would be over the moon if they do a Dinobot (surely?!). My Beast Wars collection is now going to be an even more eclectic mix of toy lines.

Photos and preorders have popped up for God Bomber, wow! Looks amazing, I stuck in a preorder as soon as I could. The combined God Ginrai looks stunning, just need an Overlord to go with!

I've completed a couple of further customs, comic style Malekith and Mephisto. Both use Vortious heads. I'm pretty happy with them, I can now display my SDCC Casket of Eternal Winters with Malekith.



I picked up a cheap MCU Falcon from Amazon, I've given the goggled head to comic Falcon for my comic figures with movie heads line up. I've got plans for the regular head.....


Mega Bloks are putting out a few new interesting classic Turtles and Power Ranger sets. Great to get a cartoon Donatello to go with the other three, just a shame it's not a set with a blimp! The Rangers sets are interesting, a few of the individual MMPR Zords, I'll be keeping an eye on what they do. If they do a white ranger set then I'll be very happy.

***********

I've been thinking about my spending habits (not for the first time), about half of the stuff I buy is planned: I want a Masterpiece Megatron, they announce one, I put in a preorder and then will buy it when it's released. The other stuff is as the result of for the want of a better word, ideas. I think these 'ideas' can grouped into three categories.

Firstly products, something is announced or rumoured or sometimes I see something in a shop that I want. That in turn makes me want something which has been around for a while, for instance, I passed on Masterpiece for many years, but Sideswipe, Bumblebee and Soundwave won me over. I then bought Optimus Prime and Starscream. The same thing happened with Classics and WST. When Spider-Man Noir was announced I sought out Spider-Man 2099 and Miles Morales Spider-Man to complete the set.

Secondly, thinking about my collection, I sometimes spot 'gaps'. I planned out a load of Marvel customs, then something made me think 'what about DC?', so I planned a load of Batman villains and accordingly bought the base figures. Thinking about my WST collection I have displayed on Metroplex, I thought wouldn't it be cool to have the four scramble city leaders to go with (Silverbolt and co.) as they were designed to all work together.

Thirdly is media inspiration, after watching Beast Wars I decided I needed some more Beast Wars figures, after reading MTMTE I decided I needed a Lost Light shelf (not everything results in buying stuff, sometimes it's just rearranging what I already have). But cartoons, films and comics ultimately are the inspiration behind almost everything I buy.

So this tends to happen with my 3.75" figures more than Transformers, mainly I think of a new custom figure, or identify a better base figure to use and so my 'want' list never quite goes away. The million dollar question is what next? I always think that's it, then something happens to make me want (need?) something else. I think identifying new things to buy is what keeps my enthusiasm going.

**********

The Entertainer got Wave 3 deluxes in and are selling them for £13.33! Fantastic, I picked up Getaway, Doublecross and Triggerhappy. It really struck me with this wave that deluxes have started getting a bit smaller again. Getaway is just a repaint of Chromedome, so no real surprises, but he doesn't seem quite as plain in person as in pictures. Doublecross and Triggerhappy both have great transformations, intuitive, not too simple and fun. Doublecross does a great job of hiding his beast arms and legs in robot mode. I had G1 Triggerhappy as a kid so initially was a bit disappointed that his transformation is different (the nose of the plane no longer just becomes his chest), but you can still use his vehicle guns in robot mode which makes me happy (perfect if you lose the targetmaster!). So all round, very happy. I'm really enjoying Titans Return so far.


There are several Beast Wars figures I want but am holding off because I hope they might get updates. A couple of the figures are Japanese Beast Wars II, so no chance of an update. I had a look on eBay to see what they were gong for. One figure I'd forgotten about was the Tako Tank, as every time I'd ever looked for it previously it was going for well over £100. I was very surprised to find one going for a third of that. Absolutely no accessories, packaging or Ikard, but for me absolutely perfect. He turned up super quick and it's a bit bigger than I was expecting, but it's awesome! A real quirky toy for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment