Monday, October 1, 2018

Fantastic Legends

I'm feeling pretty good about my decision not to buy Masterpiece Megatron and Shockwave. I was thinking I should start saving for them, so it's a massive burden off now not to have to do so. I've always liked regular retail figures the most. High end stuff looks great, but there's too much fear of breakage for me. Still saving for Dinobot though!

I see that the Target exclusive Bumblebee movie set with Buzzsaw and Frenzy is going to be available at Argos in the UK. I was undecided about getting Titans Return Rumble since I am rather fond of the Perfect Effect set, but looking at the headsculpt, it is a half decent figure even if it does have Rewind's proportions. Ordered! Bring on Eject and that's another set of third party figures I no longer need.


The only other Prime Wars trilogy figure I might still pick up in the future is Fortress Maximus, I want to see what they do with Scorponok first!

Various things have happened to make consider my stance on unofficial toys - replacing my Perfect Effect cassettes, potential Encore versions of the Japanese exclusive cassettes (I have KO's) and buying Marvel Legends. With the latter there are temptingly cheap figures available from China, they are either KOs or rejects. For custom projects I'm not so bothered, but if they're for direct display then I am. I don't think I'm ever truly happy with unofficial toys, I always want to replace them with legitimate figures. The problem with that is that it's not very exciting so I find it harder to spend my money doing it, despite wanting to.

**********

I've decided to also collect a team of Avengers, the lineup from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, naturally, mostly because I will pretty much have the team anyway (I already have Legends Ant-Man and Wasp for my 3.75" collection). Captain America and Hawkeye have (or will have) recent classic releases in the 'vintage' line, and Black Panther had a nice Walmart exclusive last year which seems to be still widely available. Thor seems a reasonable bet for the vintage line in the future.

Beyond that, I want to get the Guardians. Though they appeared in A:EMH, not surprisingly, I want more of a MCU take. That will give me the four main Marvel teams with my favourite lineups, plus some MCU favourites.

Have ordered Mr Fantastic to go with Human Torch. I've spent quite a lot of time thinking about my Iron Man armoury and which figures to get in which scales. My thinking is that 3.75" is my default scale, and that I should only get the 6" version if there's a particularly good reason.

All of the armours after the Mark 43 are only available in 6" so they're definitely needed. The Mark 43 comes with an alternate head where the mask is flipped up so I need that as well. (Also, such a collection makes sense from a continuity perspective because all of the armours get destroyed in Iron Man 3.) I've got a few 3.75" armours to pick up as well then I've got the set. Okay, Mark 43 is ordered as well. Twice! (Once in each scale.)


Mr Fantastic is here, he's a bit more of a sea green than I was expecting, but I love the alternate arms. It's lucky he has such good accessories as he's not a character I think of as needing much posing.

One question that I've asked myself is whether I would have bought into
Legends had Universe still been going strong. I think the amazing high resolution pictures were what finally sold me, but ultimately, I think I would have still bought them. With many of my other collections (Transformers, Power Rangers, Ghostbusters, Thundercats, Turtles, and even Nintendo), I have larger versions of either my favourite or the main characters, so really this just makes Marvel consistent with them.

Human Torch is also here! I think I would rather have had a flame-off version, that said, I do like the way the colours are done in this version. Phew, need to calm it down a bit now.


No comments:

Post a Comment