Wednesday, October 24, 2018

More of the same

I'm anticipating some tough decisions when the Siege figures come out, I have the Classics 'white Prime' version of Ultra Magnus as well as the Combiner Wars version. If I get and keep the Siege version can I justify keeping all three? I like having a version which is a white Prime. Do I keep my Classics Prime? Megatron and Starscream I'm ready to part with, but others like Sideswipe, finding the Universe figure is a special memory (as is Magnus actually). What to do?!

**********

Having spent a heck of a lot of time deciding whether to get particular Legends figures, I think I've got deciding whether to get a figure down to a fine art. Is the character important, do they appear in repeated media? Do I like them? Then, what does the figure have? Compared to the 3.75" figure mostly. Does it have a better headsculpt, does it have a better costume, does it capture the character better? So, Silver Surfer, great character, I like him, he has his own series. But the 3.75” is fine, it’s a silver dude on a surfboard. Job done!

I have found deciding whether to get particular X-Men the most difficult, the main cast from the 90's was an easy decision, the other X-Men who guest starred are much trickier. Iceman and Angel were original X-Men so they seem important, also, one's a man made of ice, and the other has a great big set of wings. Nightcrawler is my favourite blue character so he's in (mostly because of X-Men Evolution and the X2 film). Colossus is also in, he appears in every series, is made of metal and is one of those quintessential characters. Forge as he doesn't have a 3.75" figure, and finally, Bishop as his 3.75" figure doesn't quite have the physical presence that I think the character should have.

All are quite visually distinctive characters. The resulting list is I think exciting, but doesn't feel overwhelming in terms of how much it will cost. That feels like the right balance!

What I am about to write feels ridiculous, but it’s the sort of thing I spend my time thinking about so I might as well get it down. I want to put together a group of figures which best represent the Avengers: EMH lineup. Iron Man is in his classic armour, but it is a somewhat updated (stylistically) version in that it looks like armour rather than spandex. It is somewhat more inspired by the movie design. Further to that, the updated armour in the second series is inspired by the second movie. So therefore, the best figure for such a lineup are the movie figures. The same ones I decided not to get since I already had a 3.75” versions of them.

So I’m now in the market for the 6” Mark III and VI armours. But, the little voice in my head says, what about War Machine? As well as, well if you get those armours, do you not also need the Mark 42? That way you’ll have a suit from each film Iron Man appears in. If I can resist getting the other four armours as well (Mark I, II, IV, VI) it will be a miracle!

Having said I’ve got deciding which characters I need down to a fine art, I had my moment of clarity after ordering Venom and Cable. They’ve arrived. Venom I wasn’t sure about, I liked the look of Carnage, so quite liked the idea of both characters. Venom just seems to be lacking something. It’s possible that I like monster Venom more, but he seems a bit too over the top. I’m just happy with my 3.75” figure really. He was a bit of a dodgy call in the first place, I’m only getting heroes, so I optimistically labelled him as an anti-hero. I like the headsculpt but don’t think he’s essential for my collection.

Now, Cable is a tricky call. In my mind I initially put him on a level with Bishop, so I enthusiastically added him to the list. Then took him off again. Several times. Bishop is an X-Man, mostly only in the future but still, he hangs out with Forge. He also appears in Wolverine and the X-Men, and Days of Future Past. Cable isn’t an X-Man in anything I’ve seen and is just a bit grumpy. Sorry Cable! It was good to check out the figure though.

I had decided to get movie versions of the Guardians (and in fact I have), but looking at them on the shelf it has struck me that they are, well, a bit incompatible. I previously realised I like comic based toys because of the variety of colours.

The movie guardians are just a bit dull! There is also something of a discrepancy in the level of detail. Comic figures have large patches of bright colour, mostly of a spandex nature, but bright. Movie figure are a variety of mostly quite dark detailed figures. Try as I might, I’m in the comic book camp.

That leaves me in a tricky position. Star Lord and Groot I’ve got covered since I already have comic figures, I can pop the Chris Pratt (which is rather good) head on Star Lord and move on. Rocket, I could use the 3.75” version, but there are BAF and Entertainment Earth versions available. Gamora has one expensive figure available. Drax is complicated. I want the look of the old comic book figure, the build of the newer versions, plus possibly an MCU headsculpt. Can I be bothered to put together some sort of custom?

**********

I've ordered the Mark III and 42. And the Mark VI. Okay, so this is a bit of a milestone, I have (on the way at least) an armour from each film Iron Man appears in. I quite like the idea of displaying each figure with its respective film cover. One major setback in this plan would be the fact I don't have any of the films on DVD, but it would be cool. (I'm holding out for a cool box set once the third phase is finished.)

I now have the Homecoming Mark 47 set. I like the colour scheme on this one, it is apparently an homage to the Ultimate Armour, which I only really am aware of from the 3.75" figure. It is an identical sculpt to the Mark 46, but it looks nice. It also has an alternate empty head to show Tony is piloting it remotely. The Spider-Man figure is the same sculpt at the Civil War figure, but in a lighter colour. He also has a masked head with a squint which I quite like but the shape of the eye is still sculpted in which looks a bit strange.


The Tom Holland headsculpt is very good, although perhaps a bit big for the movie body. I now have it on the regular comic body and it works much better. (It strikes me how serious he looks, too serious for pizza perhaps?)


As you can see I now have the RDJ head on the Mark VII, and that seems a little small. The armoury is coming along nicely though! (I am using the Mark VII as my 'main' armour since it's the closest to the A:EMH armour, but more posable than the Mark III which I don't actually have yet.)


Nick Fury and Black Panther have turned up. Samuel L Jackson is fantastic as Nick Fury, but I do like the classic 90's Nick Fury for that cartoon look. I might get a SLJ head for special occasions. Black Panther is the Walmart exclusive version, he's a fantastic fit for a A:EMH lineup. Will get a Chadwick Boseman head for him at some point as well. The artwork on the box is pretty special as well, very reminiscent of the Black Panther series from the 2000's. Both figures are on the same mold, but I think it works.



No comments:

Post a Comment