Monday, March 11, 2019

Ten Years

It's exactly 10 years today since I started this blog on Transformers and 'other stuff'. Bloody hell! I can confirm I am still a geek, but where to start on what has changed?! (Apart from the MCU.)

I have responsibilities now, and very little time. I’m not quite sure what I used to spend my time doing. I did spend a lot of time doing customs, most of which have now been replaced. It ultimately helped me learn though so I don’t think it was entirely time wasted. The amount of TV I used to watch on the other hand....

I used to display my Transformers figures according to the Dreamwave factions, which I then tweaked a little. What is quite cool now though is I actually have a toy of every character listed. Mostly Classics, but with a bit of G1 thrown in. I might have to go back to that setup again some day.

It was around the time that 3.75” Marvel really started. I was there from the beginning. Slowly getting drawn in to the point where my original reason for collecting 3.75” (I don’t like Marvel enough to collect 6”), really doesn’t stand up.

I used to spend time putting together wish lists. I think that is part of the natural evolution of being a collector. You realise there are things out there you want to collect, you seek out websites which report on the new stuff coming out, eventually you join a board and discuss the new things being released, but what’s to say? Yay or nay? Naturally you ended up talking about what you want next. I have got damn near everything I wanted back then (especially transformers). I only (thought I) wanted the 84-86 figures, but getting Headmasters has corrected that.

Having spent a lot of time thinking about how sentimental I am about certain figures, and being a list fan, I thought I would list the figures that mean the most to me and I just can’t get rid of. G1 Grimlock tops the list since he came from a mate, as well as being my favourite character. Masterpiece and Animated Grimlock are also up there since I bought them in person. G1 Scorponok was donated by a mate so also significant. Powermaster Optimus Prime was an extremely happy Christmas present from my Mum and Dad. The Classics Skywarp/Ultra Magnus were the last thing I ever bought at a Woolworths, sigh. The Universe Aerialbots are a very happy memory, as is (strangely), Mega Bloks White Ranger. Universe Sideswipe was bought on holiday so irreplaceable (once he has a new head). And finally, I will never forget the day I bought the Lego Ghostbusters firehouse. Good times!

Having really struggled to get my collection organised, I think some advice might be good. Get organised! The longer you put it off the harder it gets. Plan your storage so that everything fits away, put parts, accessories and instructions in the same place. Easily accessible. And for god’s sake don’t keep packaging! But if you must then flatten it.

I have always thought that I am ‘almost done’. I really am not, but occasionally you can finish a collection and it’s incredibly satisfying. There will always be something new, and that is the joy. Here’s to the next 10 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment