Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Deluxe Minibots?

I am trying to take all sentimentality out of the main part of my collection, so the question I am asking myself is if I was starting from scratch, what would I buy? Omega Supreme is a bit of a stumbling block. The Siege figure looks great, but he's almost the same size as Metroplex, I've always though he should be a bit smaller. The YOTS version transforms into a space train, and looks great, perhaps not quite cartoon accurate but recognisable at least. I'm okay with reimaginings. I also like the idea of having the best figures from the Unicron trilogy in my collection.

On a related note, I am determined not to get Earthrise coneheads. Somehow it makes more sense to me for them to be the same size as Scourge and the Decepticon Targetmasters. I kept my WST seekers in order to have a set where they're all the same size. I know the Earthrise figures are going to look amazing though. Skywarp and Thundercracker have been confirmed, they look great, which has resulted in me putting an order in for Starscream. He's on his way!

Thinking about other figures I didn’t upgrade/replace, several of the movie cast had new figures in Titans Return - Hot Rod, Kup, Blurr, Perceptor and Scourge. I’ve looked at them again and am happy with my decision, but a couple of the old figures could be better. Hot Rod especially. Siege Astrotrain is one I've looked at, l but I like having all three Decepticon triple changers as headmasters at exactly the same size so I’m good. Jetfire, I’ve given him some desk time and I’m okay with the Generations 30th one, he looks great and is the size I want.

I am going to pass on Jetfire and Omega despite their Siege toys being better. It preserves the ‘specialness’ of Metroplex, Trypticon, Fortress and Scorponok (I would make an exception for Black Zarak as the G1 figure is my holy grail, he has an animal altmode, he is the Destron leader from Masterforce once Devil Z inhabits him, and he would compete my set of demon generals from Zone). Their size counts against them and there’s nothing wrong with the versions I already have. No really.....

Dinobots and Constructicons aside, I think Cyclonus is the main figure I want to see in a different size - voyager rather than deluxe, despite it being the best Universe figure.  It would run the risk of an accompanying voyager Scourge which I don't (think I) want. The cassettes are a right old mess, is it too much to ask for a set in the same sort of size and style?! Whatever happened to Legends Eject? And I'm still using KFC versions of Steeljaw, Ramhorn, Ratbat, Overkill and Slugfest.




It looks like the minibots are sliding towards the small deluxe size (I haven't got Earthrise Cliffjumper yet). I think what I’ve got is pretty much there, a new deluxe Huffer would be good so he can pull Prime’s trailer. And Pipes. I’m still using my iGear figures for both of them. Assuming we get a Hubcap from Cliffjumper (I'm using a spare Legends Bumblebee as a stand in) then I'm all good. I have Titans Return Bumblebee on standby. A smaller Warpath might be good though I'd be pretty torn - the deluxe is fantastic.




In terms of future Titans, I think there is a case for redoing Metroplex. Beyond that, an Ark play set perhaps. I think they could do some of the Japanese characters - Galaxy Shuttle, Grandus, etc, but at the Commander price point perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment