Saturday, April 4, 2020

No screw holes

Still going through boxes and bagging things up, I’ve got some great figures - Dinobots Snarl (repaint of BWM Sabreback), and Sixtrain and Sixliner stand out particularly. It’s good to rediscover them. Snarl is a funny figure in that I only became aware of it (and the others) when I first started collecting, and when I was searching on eBay for a G1 Snarl it came up on a few of the searches. Sixtrain I discovered by chance in a shop selling kitsch Japanese stuff, and I quite like having a pair of them.

I’ve put in an order for a (Mattel) Jurassic World T-Rex, the Hasbro one I had was wobbly and the rubber on the neck had started to disintegrate, however it had (I think) a better sculpt, particularly on the head. The Mattel one is much more stable and has no screw holes. Hope to start customising it!


Going through my boxes, I made a pile of instructions, another of parts, another of the actual figures, and another of figures all nicely bagged up. The nicely bagged figures made me feel much calmer so I think I’m on the right track. I’m almost done with the boxes and will start tackling the figures (sort of on display) on shelves. Still a heck of a lot to do though.

For a long time now I found myself almost fanticising about having one toy per character, whether the G1 figure or not. Once I got over the sentimentality, I think I’m okay with it. If I lost my entire collection, I realise I wouldn’t buy a lot of toys again - it was the memory associated with the toy that I was holding on to, but I realise now that I still can have the memory without owning the toy. More to the point, I have figures which I’ve got rid of with happy memories attached to them. The happy memories are still there, the Classics Dinobot minicons for instance - I replaced them with the DOTM G1 coloured versions, with no loss of memory.

Thinking about it I’ve got rid of lots of great figures over the years, and it’s fine. I think I do want a figure of almost every G1 and Beast Wars character - I like the idea of being able to replicate particular teams, and for certain teams it’s nice if the toys are of a similar style, but beyond that it’s a matter of getting the best version of a character (ignoring Masterpiece and third party for the most part).

Paid for my final two Seacons, think I will have them before the middle two which are supposed to be arriving from China at some point (they haven’t shipped yet). Combiner Wars (and the sequel Power of the Primes) was amazing, I wonder whether we’re done with combiners? Still hopeful for a deluxe based Devastator (maybe I should get the down sized KO), the remaining Lio Kaiser components and Road Caesar. Maybe Landcross and Dinoking/Monstructor? I’d be happy for Landcross to be reissued again.

Opened up Marvel 3.75" Quasar. He survived the cull as I love the (look of the) Annihilators team, it might have inspired me to get on with a Ronan custom, but instead I've found myself thinking about Dracula.......


I also opened Jessica Jones. It took me a few years to get round to watching her Netflix series (I enjoyed the Jewel costume cameo), and so a few years more to actually open her. My Netflix Defenders are complete!


No comments:

Post a Comment