Friday, March 20, 2009

Classics/Universe

There had been various G1 homages throughout the Armada, Energon and Cybertron lines and Hasbro finally gave the fanbase what they wanted with Classics. Prior to Classics I had started to be tempted by non-G1 figures such as RID Scourge and Cybertron Scourge, and when Classics first came out I didn't really take too much notice but when I saw them in various shops I had a look but still didn't buy them.

It was Ramjet and Mirage which finally tempted me, Ramjet I think because I liked the idea of having a set of posable seekers and Mirage just because he seemed so cool. When I finally gave in I bought Mirage, Bumblebee, Starscream and Hot Rod in one go and Jetfire a few days later.

Not long after, the Botcon seekers were announced. This topic has been long argued about on TF boards so I'll briefly summarise my thoughts; I wanted them enough to splash out on them on ebay at top dollar. Was I 'gutted' when the Japanese versions were announced? No (as a side issue here I moved across to the other side of the world just before they arrived and they're still sitting in my parents' house unopened). It was a risk when bought them on ebay, and 2 years later I'm glad I bought them. I look forward to uniting my seekers collection!

I then picked up Ramjet and Prime. We then got Henkei and much improved versions of Astrotrain and Megatron. I also picked up the Henkei versions of Starscream and Bumblebee, obviously they weren't vastly different from the Hasbro versions, but I had plans to do a few customs. More about that at some point..........

So Classics then become Universe and the line has continued. I haven't got my hands on most of the figures (they're sitting in my Pile of Loot on BBTS) but bought Bluestreak and Sideswipe as they looked cool and were childhood favourites. I'm really impressed with them both.

As with the previous Universe line there have been new molds but also repaints of old (mainly Cybertron figures). I've got pretty much all the new G1 themed figures except Powerglide who I can't quite convince myself on. With the repaints it's a tougher decision, I've got the Cybertron Defense repaints (Dropshot and Countdown) and the target exclusive repaints (Springer, Ratbat, Dirge and Roadbuster). Oh and Leo Prime.

There have also been repaints of the Energon combiners (Devastator in Classics) and Superion and Bruticus in Universe. As if so often the case I ignored them initially, but then this happened:

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/viewthread.php?tid=11055

For me that's the sort of awesomeness I can't ignore. I desperately hope that the kit gets released and also equivalent Devastator and Bruticus sets created. Annoyingly I saw Superion in shops and passed on him, but I managed to find Bruticus (today in fact!).

I'm the sort of anal collector who likes to have one version of each character and these sets muddy the water a little. Universe Onslaught and Silverbolt, or Universe Superion and Bruticus? I think whether these add-on sets get released will be the deciding factor. Although having said that there is a Titanium Hot Spot on the way, there's also a Menasor (Motormaster) Titanium figure (admittedly just a repaint of Rodimus Prime) so with these combiner torso versions of Onslaught and Silverbolt potentially you have all 4 scramble city leaders and in scale. But then again E-Onslaught looks a bit like Motormaster. Decisions decisions.............

Apart from Silverbolt and Onslaught there are also legends versions of Bumblebee and Hot Rod in addition to the original deluxe versions. I think I can pass on Hot Rod quite easily although given that Cybertron Optimus Prime is a homage to Star Convoy, I think he could work as a homage to Micromaster Hot Rod and so they could work well together. I don't have Cybertron Optimus Prime so it's not an issue but Bumblebee I am tempted by. Bumblebee was a minibot and some of the other minibots have been released as legends (Beachcomber, Brawn, Cosmos, Wheelie and Warpath). Apparently there's also going to be a Henkei legends Cliffjumper. Scale wise, the legends versions of Bumblebee and Cliffjumper would work quite nicely, but then what of the deluxe versions? Deluxe Bumblebee is possibly one of the finest Transformers ever, excellent homage, simple transformation and looks good in both modes. I'm torn to be honest. But then perhaps Deluxe Bumblebee would work well displayed with some alternators. I don't have any alternators though..........

So all up we've now got modern versions of most of the original series 1 and 2 bots, I think Jazz is the main exception and maybe Soundwave (if you don't count the Music Label version). Let's hope we get a third Classics incarnation!

No comments:

Post a Comment