Saturday, March 28, 2009

Giving In

Sometimes waiting for a figure to hit the shops just gets too frustrating; it was released months ago in other territories and there just doesn't seem to be any indication it might turn up.

Case in point: Animated Swoop, the signs seemed good when Jazz and Soundwave appeared, but since then no new figures. It seems that since Blackarachnia is shelf-warming so much, retailers are reluctant to order new stock of Animated Deluxes. I've finally given and ordered Swoop online with the TRU exclusive, Countdown.

The later Cybertron repaints in the Universe on the whole have been pretty good, and I rather like having micromaster homages. In the Dreamwave Micromaster mini-series Countdown was one of the transformers who had 'down-sized' in order to be more fuel efficient, so this larger form makes sense. It would be good have a Skystalker for him to face off against, perhaps if they did a Universe Nightbeat he could be a repaint (they could do Minerva as well).

I was looking over the list of Universe releases and it's the first large line where I've got virtually every new mold, out of all the Deluxe/Voyager/Ultra figures, I've got all of them except Hot Shot, Cheetor and Powerglide. Funny perhaps that I don't mind large Micromaster figures, but large Minibots I object to.

So it seems like Universe is coming to an end now, I think the only figures I want to get are Henkei; Red Alert and the Minibot 3-packs. Then we're on to the next Movie. The Movie styled figures aren't really for me and so I'll appreciate the break and try and save a few dollars. The rest of the year will be all about Marvel (Universe) and Batman (Infinite Heroes).......

.....and G1. Still. I'm not sure whether I ever want to stop collecting G1, I suspect my collecting life will seem a little empty once I get all the figures I want, but then again, I'm not sure I will ever get all of the ones I want until I have every single last one. It seems whenever I get close to getting all the ones I want that a couple more suddenly seem a bit more desirable.

My list of figures still to get are:

  • Pretender Beasts
  • (Decepticon) Headmaster Juniors
  • Combiner Cassettes (Grandslam/Raindance/Beastbox/Squawktalk)
  • Deluxe Insecticons
  • Targetmasters (Misfire/Slugslinger/Triggerhappy)
  • Combiners (Menasor/Abominus/Devastator/Dinoking)
  • Powermasters (Darkwing/Dreadwind)
  • Skyhopper
  • Shockwave

Pretty much all Decepticons and Beast-Formers. 26 bots in total (if you count the Gestalts as one). Some of those should be pretty easy to get hold of at a decent price, some of the 'Master figures can be pretty pricey though (because of how easily the partner is lost I guess). The tricky thing will be not adding more figures to that list, already I'm considering in my mind that it would be good to get the Beast-Formers I don't have and or more Micromaster bases (particularly those expensive Japanese exclusives).

I think what I have to remember is 2 things; there's no point getting a figure for the sake of it, and I don't have room to set up a Micromaster City. (But if I did, that would be so awesome!!!) If they ever reissued Dai Atlas then I'm not sure I could resist but whilst he costs several hundred dollars it's reasonably easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment