Friday, March 13, 2009

WST

World's Smallest Transformers. Not the official name for the line but an appropriate name and the one that has stuck.

I was a strict G1 person until I became aware of these figures just as the (official) line was dropped and so just managed to avoid the extortionate prices that the likes of Bluestreak and Ultra Magnus go for now ($100 anyone?!). I realised how well they'd display with Metroplex and co and so for the first time got a non-proper G1 figure, obviously not a million miles away from G1 as they're G1 characters but it was the start of my moving away from the figures of the 1980's.

So the official releases are Optimus Prime, Jazz, Prowl, Bluestreak, Sideswipe, Red Alert, Bumblebee (and Red Bumblebee), Ultra Magnus (Magnus really since there's no 'Ultra ' trailer/armour) and Hot Rod for the Autobots, Megatron, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Thrust, Soundwave and Ravage for the Decepticons. I think this line is typical of how I see collecting going for me in that it's being kept alive by non-official figures. Non-official releases have added the remaining seekers (Dirge and Ramjet), the Dinobots, and various Wonderfest releases including Stepper, Springer, Goldbug, Arcee and Slugslinger. Oh and there's a Tracks figure coming from somewhere.

There are some WST Combiners and Fort Max as well but I suspect they're not such as good quality (as say the unofficial seekers) although I have no experience of them. Also a WST Fort Max doesn't really make sense for me as I want WST figures to display with the proper Fort Max not a scaled down unofficial figure.

Shockwave and Blaster are expected this year from Just Toys so the future seems pretty healthy (Wheeljack was hinted at as well.) I guess Smokescreen could also be easily done and a Skids prototype was shown before the line cancelled (as was the Tracks prototype).

I've got all of the official figures (not including Red Bumblebee) and the non-Wonderfest unofficial figures. I did manage to snag Arcee for a good price though. I'd love to get Springer and Magnus's Trailer but I think you have to draw a line somewhere and paying several hundred dollars for a single figure is crazy.

Here are a couple of pictures of my WSTs - Metroplex with the official Autobot official WSTs and Sky Lynx with the WST Dinobots. WSTs are awesome and I hope the line (unofficially) continues.




No comments:

Post a Comment