Monday, April 1, 2019

Still Addicted

I wrote a blog a few months ago about addiction, I then got addicted to Marvel Legends. There was a key word I used previously - preoccupation. Having done a bit of reading about substance addiction versus psychological, that word came up. The other key component is control. Can you stop yourself doing something despite knowing it’s A foolish idea? As I’ve said before, I pay all my bills, so I obviously have some control. I started collecting at a time when I was unhappy. On a very basic level, it gave me comfort. It was a support mechanism. My life has changed now, I am happy with my life. I no longer need the support, but the addiction is still there.

Buying stuff brings a small amount of temporary happiness, but it's not lasting. Helping other people, spending time with your family and loved ones. That brings true happiness.

I don’t need to give up collecting, but I need to stop getting into new lines which have been around for a while - the temptation then is then to ‘catch up’. I become preoccupied, making lists, checking eBay, checking stores. Transformers for me at the moment is under control, apart from Fortress Maximus, I have everything I want - the fact that I've waited to buy Max is a good sign. I know what I intend to get and so can plan accordingly. Marvel Legends I’m almost there, but I have gone through six months or so where I became obsessed.

I started off collecting G1 obsessively, then Classics, then Marvel Universe (with several spells of buying figures for customs), Star Wars and now Legends. I need to break this cycle. There are other lines I could collect, 6” Star Wars, Diamond’s Real Ghostbusters, the Figuarts Iron Man armours, NECA Turtles, Storm Collectibles Mortal Kombat. I think it’s easier if I don’t start. Transformers and Marvel are the most difficult because there are so many great characters that form different teams and groups.

Where to next then? Catch up with Legends because that’s what my obsession is telling me to do. I’ve already identified eBay auctions with the figures I need. Then it’s make or break time. You’ll know how I’ve got on based on whether I mention it again in my next few blogs, if I don’t mention it then I’ve failed and it will all start again. I really will be the fool.


No comments:

Post a Comment