Thursday, April 25, 2019

Transform!

eBay is very keen on telling me how much money I've 'made'. It is less keen on telling me how much money they've taken off me. I resent it being presented as money I've 'made' (you can probably tell from the use of quotes). If you take off the money that the stuff I'm selling cost in the first place, plus the eBay and PayPal fees, I'm not making anything. I've just lost a little bit less money. The value of my collection went down significantly when eBay increased their fees because I can no longer realise as much value for it.

Rant over. I think my brain has clicked over from Marvel Legends back to Transformers. I realise that if I had only bought the key X-Men and Avengers (TAS and A:EMH lineups), plus Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four, I would have had money left over for Legends Fortress Maximus.

Trying to decide whether to replace my G1 figure with the Legends version. When I was reading about the new(er) Fortress, I was reminded about Grand and Greatshot. And Black Shadow. I'm still not sure about Fortress. What I really want is Fortress (not Fortress Maximus), but sadly it's not possible to get the head alone. I also don't want Cerebros, so that rules out the cheaper Hasbro version.

I want Fortress because if we get Victory Saber, it would be amazing to have all of the Autobot leaders in Classics. (This further makes me think I should get Siege Optimus and Magnus as I think they would go together better.) Further to this, if (and when) we get Titan Scorponok, they would likely go together well.

Against this, I have owned G1 Fortress Maximus for over 10 years (see photo). I have a sentimental attachment to him, he’s no longer the tallest Transformer ever, but he’s still the heftiest. I have the Perfect Effect Warden, he goes with the G1 figure. Fortress Maximus is a remold of a figure I already have (Metroplex). What if we get Scorponok (or in fact Fortress Maximus) in the new Commander class? Also, if we got a G1 Victory Saber reissue I would want to get it to upgrade/replace my Victory Leo. I like the idea of having all of the main leaders in G1 (I owned Star Saber previously, but he was a bit knackered). Finally, even if we get a Titan Scorponok, the G1 Maximus figure is still a good size.


If they ever did a Black Zarak, I would love a Grand to go up against him. If they did a Sixknight it would be cool to have Greatshot to complete the trio of six-changers (who appeared in the cartoon). Because of the crazy rareness of G1 Black Zarak, any version would be amazing (black and gold works).

Regardless of all this, Fortress is not currently available at a price I am willing to pay. Perhaps I am over thinking the whole thing unnecessarily. I think I will try and start setting some money aside, and if he pops up at a reasonable price then I will consider it again. If anything I have just convinced myself that I need both the G1 and Legends versions, I don't think I am ready to get rid of the G1 figure though so best to keep him.

**********

Siege Ironhide has arrived, it’s almost like they knew I was getting into Transformers again. He is fantastic! I have a strange history with Ironhide toys, of the four I’ve owned, I’ve only opened half of them. I’ve owned and sold the G1 and Masterpiece figure without even opening them, which is kinda weird, but in both cases I bought them to complete a ‘84 lineup, only to realise that was a silly reason to buy a toy. I was quite fond of the Henkei figure, but I sold it off as soon as this toy was shown off. I have no regrets at all, I bought it because it looked good. He is super chunky and solid looking, I really like the look. Sod trying to replicate the cartoon look, this is the one for me. Bring on Ratchet!


I heard that Soundwave had been seen in the wild, so went and had a look for him. Nothing doing, but saw Optimus. Having spent quite a bit of time thinking about a potential Autobot leader display (with Fortress), I left it, but spent the day thinking about it. I decided to go and get him. Only to find, Soundwave! So I bought him.


I think he is the Soundwave I’ve been waiting for. I like the toy accurate yellow. I would like a smoother sculpt though, this is somewhat over detailed for me (similarly to Shockwave). I saw Starscream on the shelf next to him, reminded me slightly of the Star Wars Transformers in their detailing and dry brushing of metallic paint. Starscream is a bit much for me. Soundwave looks great, need to find some cassettes for him.

I'm going to see Avengers Endgame tomorrow. Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment